Datalift is a program that is meant to allow app marketers to programmatically access and control mobile supply sources through a single platform.

This one-stop-shop includes a marketplace for RTB exchanges, direct sale channels, direct publishers of all types of networks.

Applfit's sales team, overwhelmed by the amount of information they were exposed to, often chose to use the program for one task at a time and not to make use of its full potential.

Key contributions

  • Research

  • UI 

  • Usability tests

  • Mockups

  • Wireframes

The Challenge

The software was built a few years ago as an online spreadsheet with minimum functionality. It was meant for the internal use of a small group of users and slowly grew to be the capital product of Applift. 

The team I joined had the challenge of both enhancing existing features according to user feedback, as well as designing new features in order to improve their workflow.

The team was in charge of the main dashboard screens. Gathering user feedback via interviews and surveys, 

I was quickly convinced that the interface is not only not helping the users, but is rather slowing them down:

"The size of the chips makes me mistake it for a button, and after a long day looking at charts I have difficulty seeing which amount belongs to which axis. I need the axis labels to be constantly visible, otherwise I keep making stupid mistakes" 

"The potential of this software is great, yet I must say sometimes I feel it only slows me down. It is designed for a robot with bionic eyes! I end up using my lunch breaks to double check everything I publish"

Feature enhancement: dashboard redesign

When I had enough feedback to crystallise the user's pain points and prioritise them, I prioritised the quick wins and chose to tackle the UI elements which were causing confusion.

By reducing the size of the chips more space was gained, and the screen was immediately decluttered. Working closely with the FE developer, we designed the chart to expand when only when more than 3 metrics are selected, a feature that solved another problem on the way - the labels on the left side remained visible.

Highlighting the axis with a thicker stroke increased their visibility, and we made sure to constrain the dialogue box to a permanent size and location.

We added a download icon which was the first in a row of icons to come in the future.

Feature design: dynamic audiences

"Dynamic audiences" considers every event on the database available for the user; certain operators will appear depending on the event type, and the user has the freedom to add and change items, best on their professional judgment.

My task on this project was to figure out a way to allow the user to choose specific audiences with predetermined limitations. Introducing campaign managers' most favorite feature:

Having this design, the user can shape their targeted audience easily, choosing between and/or, as well as adding multiple events to the targeting chain. In the next step events could be included or excluded.

Feature enhancement: allowing bulk actions in the creative library

A campaign manager can access the creatives' data from various places in the app, yet the main library which contains all creatives was not flexible at all, especially in offering quick access to bulk actions.

The design had to tackle the results of parallel events such as campaigns that interfere with one another, alert the user about multiple scheduling exc'. 

Based on extensive user research we gathered the most important changes to be made: the actions button will be moved to the left-hand side so it is clear it controls the checked boxes, and a checkbox list on the left-hand side enables multiple selections of creatives. Having bulk edit finally added to the action menu improved the user's workflow significantly and was reflected in their monthly accomplishments right away.

Feature design: App object

App object is generated on an Enterprise permission level, and in order to design it I had to recruit a different set of users for feedback and interviews. Having that user base established, I found the huge importance this feature carried; App objects help to set goals for the whole process and track metrics on App level. This simplifies the process of creating Line Items/Campaigns significantly for the user. Having this feature will help reduce a campaign creation time, which is the main reason why this feature was prioritised.

App Object generating process: 




When entering the App name, the rest of the text fields would be auto-populated.



If a picture is not immediately available, a loader graphic will show up.

There may be a different app object for android or for ios, for the same object.

The user may add as many objects s\he needs.



There may be a different app object for android or for ios, for the same object.

The user may add as many objects as s\he needs.

© 2020 by Salit Krac